Thursday, October 27, 2011

Hakka Suan Pan Zi 算盘子


My mom is a Hakka. Recently she said that she missed eating算盘子, and shared with me her recipe. After that week, I decided to be a good girl and cooked for her.
She said that I must put yellow tau gua, black fungus and dried shrimps to bring back the traditional taste that she remembered. So I tried to search for a recipe that is similar and has those ingredients.
I adopted recipe from 新食谱 and modified from there:

Ingredients:
1 cup sweet potato flour
Half of yam
10g Dried shrimps (soak in hot water for 15 min)
2 pc of black fungus (soak in hot water for 15 min)
1 pc of yellow tau Gua (slice)
1 tsp of salt
1 tbs of oyster sauce
1 tsp of xo sauce
Abit of pepper,dark soy sauce.

Method:
1. Steam yam till soft and cooked. Mash while hot.
2. Add sweet potato flour and salt and use hand to form dough.
3. Roll into flat ball. Boil in hot water. Set aside.
4. Fried tau gua sliced till golden. Set aside.
5. Fried xo sauce till fragrant, then add dried shrimps and fried till fragrant.
6. Add black fungus and tau gua and continue frying. Add some water and bring to boil.
7. Add yam ball and stir well.
8. Add seasoning: oyster sauce, dark soy sauce and pepper. Add some water and mixed well.
9. When boil , it's ready to serve.

Verdict: my mom likes it! Yam ball is full of yam bites and flavor, with the right flavor of sauce and ingredients, it was very addictive and filling.

I have contributed this post to Aspiring Baker #12: Traditional kueh (October 2011) hosted by SSB of Small small baker.

No comments:

Post a Comment