Friday, February 17, 2012
Chicken Pie - 1st attempt
I remembered watching a cooking show in Food Network Channel showing how to make pie by using frozen puff pastry dough. Was amazed that i no need to make the dough from scratch(as i know that i can't master fluffy puff yet) and there's such a puff pastry dough selling in supermarket.
So I looked around for puff pastry dough. And indeed I found in NTUC. That saved me the trouble to make the dough, at the same time I want to know how the ready made dough taste like. After searching around for recipe, I finally decided on this one and modified on it:
2 potatoes (diced)
50gm frozen mixed vegetable
1/2 chicken breast meat (diced)
1 big onion (diced)
1 can of Campbell Mushroom Potage
1 tsp white and black pepper
Salt for seasoning
1. Heat oil and fried diced potatoes with 1/2 cup of water and salt. Fried till potatoes soften. Set aside.
2. Heat oil. Fried diced onion till fragrant and transparent.
3. Add diced chicken meat. Fried till can break up Chicken meat.
4. Add mixed vegetable, fried till well mixed and just soften.
5. Add cooked diced potatoes. add a can of Potage with 1 can of water. Stir constantly and Bring to boil.
6. Add pepper and salt for seasoning.
7. Cook till soup is thickened, set aside and cool.
8. leave overnight in fridge.
9. Thaw puff pastry dough for 2-3 hours.
10. Remove wrap and roll dough to ideal thickness, about 1cm.
11. Cut dough to fit the cupcake mold. Press lightly to fit the molds.
12. Use fork to poke holes on the base and place mixture in.
13. Brush corner with water. Cover with another piece of dough. Use fork to seal the corner.
14. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg C for 40 minutes.
15. Bake till crust fluff up and golden brown.
16. Let it cool on rack for 5 to 10 minute before serving.
Verdict: this first attempt, to my surprise, turned out quite well! Although my pies are not very pretty, but it really taste quite similar to most chicken pie we had outside. The crust was fluffy too.
For the leftover mixture, I added about 1 cup of water, stirred constantly and bring to boil. And that became our potato and chicken soup for that day.