Friday, April 6, 2012
Lemon Cake with Lemon Curd
Mentioned earlier in my previous post that I promised to bake lemon cake for my friend. And she had a special request: to include lemon curd.
So for the past few days, I have been looking around for easy to follow recipe and I stumbled upon this one. As I did not use many eggs so I modified a little and substitute egg for cornstarch. The result: shiny, tangy, not too sweet and a little thick, just the right texture and taste. And my friend was surprised to learn that this was my first attempt. So proud of myself ;)
1/2 lemon zest and juice
25g caster sugar
20g unsalted butter
1 tsp corn flour
1. Place sugar and lemon zest in a bowl.
2. Whisk lemon juice with egg then pour this over the sugar mixture.
3. Add butter, cut butter into little pieces.
4. Place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
5. In another bowl, put corn flour and add a few tablespoon of warm mixture, stir till well mixed and thicken. Pour it back into the simmering mixture.
6. Stir frequently till curd thicken, about 5 minutes. Leave to cool.
7. Top the cake with lemon curd and put in the fridge to set before serve.
Cake recipe from here.