Friday, May 4, 2012
No knead Raisin and Chocolate Chips Bread
I baked this today and can you believe this is my first attempt baking bread? Yes, I am not a bread lover but these few days I am forced to stay home and eat soft food like porridge and bread. Since I need to clear raisin and chocolate chip that's expiring soon, so I thought instead of baking cake, I shall challenge myself and try baking bread for the first time.
I looked around for easy and fast to make bread recipe without using bread maker, and most importantly no knead! this is what I followed and modified(see below). I added raisin and chocolate chips.
Ingredients: (1 loaf, I used half of the ingredients from the original recipe)
1/3 cup warm water
1 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tbsp vegetable shortening
1/4 cup milk
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
1/4 cup raisin
2 tbsp chocolate chips
1. In large bowl, add yeast, sugar and warm water. Stir until yeast and sugar dissolved.
2. Heat milk in a pan and stir in shortening till melt.
3. Pour warm milk mixture into the yeast mixture. Add salt and stir well.
4. Sift in 1/2 cup of flour one at a time, until the dough chases the spoon around the bowl.
5. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead, add more flour as needed, until the dough is soft and smooth, not sticky to the touch.
6. Put dough in buttered bowl, turn dough over so that the top of dough is greased. Cover with cling wrap and let rise in warm spot for 1 hour.
7. Punch down dough. Turn out onto floured board and knead with raisin and chocolate chips.
8. Preheat oven at 170 degrees C.
9. Form dough into loaf and set in buttered loaf pan. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
10. Put in oven and bake for about 35 minutes or until golden brown. (I used skewer to test if it's done)
11. let cool on rack before serve.
Verdict: I like the soft inside texture, not too dry and smell good! Will use this recipe for more bread variants.