Saturday, November 24, 2012

Steam Pandan Cupcakes with Palm Sugar


I have never steamed any cake in my entire life. Reason being: I always hear my mom said it is hard to steam a "笑"(top raise and open)steam cake. That is why it take me so long to steam any cake. This month, I finally pick up the courage, I tell myself: I must try at least once.

Last week, I steamed my first cake. It was, as expected, a failure. The cake didn't raise, and sink in at the centre. Guessed the main reason is I open the cover to check with a skewer, it did not come clear, so I let it steam for another 15 minutes, and the more I checked the worst it looked.

This time, I read more posts on how to steam cake, and pick up tips here and there. As usual, I modified to a simpler version. The recipe that I followed mainly from HERE.

Although this time, the cakes did not "笑", but they are all cooked. Texture is soft and spongy. I am quite happy with the result.

Ingredient: (make 5 cupcakes)
120g Self Raising Flour
50g sugar
100g hot water
1/2 tsp pandan paste
1/2 tsp baking powder
20g canola oil
1 egg
Some palm sugar

Method:
1. Add sugar to hot water. Stir to melt sugar. Let cool.
2. Add pandan paste to sugar water, stir well.
3. Sift flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
4. Add sugar mixture, oil and sieved beaten egg.
5. Mix till all incorporated.
6. Fill each cup 1/3 full, sprinkle some palm sugar, and top up to 3/4 full.
7. Steam over medium heat for 45 minutes.
8. Let cool and serve.

I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #25 - Steaming Hot Cakes (November 2012) hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders.

7 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Thanks for submitting to Steaming Hot Cakes!
    Steaming cakes needs practice, I also have to throw away one or two cakes this month bcos they were not cooked well enough.

    I find huat kuehs the hardest to steam, it is difficult to make them break into a smile, it really depends on your recipe and your luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss B for your encouragement! All your steam cakes look so good! Envy :)

      Delete
  2. I think u have to fill the batter full and steam with high fire, then u will obtain the flower design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret for dropping by and thank you for your advice. :) will try again :)

      Delete
  3. Palm sugar is verry healthy. Lots of people wants to eat something sweet , tasty and preferably healthy. Instead of sugar i would add honey and nuts

    ReplyDelete