Sunday, October 26, 2014
Lavender Chiffon Cake
I like Chiffon cake, for its airiness and softness. But unfortunately, I can't seems to find a good Chiffon cake in the market. Either they are too dry or too moist, or they lack the aroma and flavor. So I look around, looking for a healthy(less than 4 eggS) yet easy to follow recipe. And I stumbled upon this recipe from SSB and I have been using this staple recipe since.
Recently, I bought a packet of dried lavender, without concrete idea of what to do with it. When I searched for recipes using lavender, there's lavender chiffon cake but with lemon and earl grey tea etc. I am curious how will lavender chiffon cake without lemon or other ingredients turned out. So I tried using just dried lavender, and maybe add purple sweet potatoes for the purple colors.
I modified the original recipe, And it turned out well. It has a nice and mild lavender aroma, yet moist and as usual airy and soft.
My dear friend Wendy and her son very "给面子”，finish the cake in a flash and give very good comments. And immediately she asked for the recipe. After a week, she still urged me for the recipe. So Wendy, This is for u:
3 egg yolks
1/2 tsp dried lavender
55g self raising flour
(Optional) mash 1 purple sweet potato for color and flavor or just use purple coloring.
3 egg white
A few drops of lemon juice or cream of tartar
1. Blend dried lavender with milk(to get the aroma). Set aside.
2. Whisk egg yolks with 18g sugar till sugar dissolved.
3. Add oil , mix well and add milk mixture. and colouring. Stir well.
4. Fold flour.
5. In another bowl, Whisk egg white with lemon juice till soft peak.
6. Add sugar in three parts till stiff peak.
7. Pour mixture to cake tin and bake at 180 degree for 35 min.
8. Remove from oven and turn over to cool.
9. Remove from mold and ready to serve.