Thursday, December 1, 2011
Chicken Katsu Don
Whenever we eat japanese food, He will order Katsu Don. So I searched for easy recipe that I can replicate. I stumbled upon a YouTube demo and replicated from there:
Ingredients: (for 1 bowl)
1 pc of chicken fillet (Marinate with a pinch of salt and pepper)
1 bowl of rice
1 egg (beat lightly)
A: all purpose flour, beated egg, bread crumbs
1 pkt bonito flakes
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp sake
1 tbsp soy sauce (from Daiso)
1 tsp sugar
1 big onion (sliced)
1. Coat chicken fillet with flour, then egg then bread crumbs. Set aside.
2. Heat pan with oil. Fried chicken fillet till golden brown. Cut into big chunks. Set aside.
3. Boil water with bonito flakes, simmer for 20-30 minutes.
4. Add mirin, sake, sugar and soy sauce, stir well.
5. Add onion and simmer till soften.
6. Add chicken fillet. Then pour lightly beated egg on top.
7. Cover lid for 30 seconds and off the heat.
8. Transfer all ingredients to a bowl of rice and ready to serve.
Note: I did not add sake but it did not affect the taste of Katsu Don, and it did taste like what we eat in any Japanese restaurant. Have cooked this for a few times, and it always taste good.