Monday, December 19, 2011
X'mas Orange Yogurt Cupcakes
Wanted to get my mom a X'mas present. Since she likes orange colour and likes to eat orange cake, I decided to make her orange cupcakes. As X'mas is around the corner, I need to look for a easy and fast to make, no mixer required orange cake recipe. Among all that I have searched, this Martha stewart's recipe post is one that fits my requirement:
Ingredients: (make 15 small cupcakes)
1 cup all purpose flour(I used 1/3 cup top flour + 2/3 cup cake flour)
1/2 cup 2 tsp caster sugar (I only used 1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt (equivalent to 1 cup of Meiji low fat plain yogurt)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Zest and juice from 1/2 orange
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 orange (segmented)
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 175 deg C.
2. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. Pour yogurt, oil, egg, vanilla essence, orange zest and juice in a bowl. Stir well with a whisk.
4. Add sifted dry ingredients gradually till well mixed.
5. Fill each cup 3/4 full. Top with orange segment.
6. Bake for 25 minutes, till skewer comes out clean.
7. Let cool on wire rack.
8. Dust cupcakes with icing sugar.
Verdict: this recipe is good for beginner like me. It did not fail me although it was my first attempt. I modified a little if you compared. I like the soft and moist texture. Will definitely bake this again next time. Hope my mom likes it too.
Although it's not very creative, but it's christmasy. Therefore I have submitted this post to Aspiring bakers: #14: Christmas creative bakes(dec 2011) hosted by hankerie and White Christmas by very good recipes.