Thursday, March 7, 2013
Sesame Oil Chicken (麻油鸡）
This is one of my favourite dish that my mom cooked since my teens. And it's also one of Taipei night market "must try". I love the smell of it and even craving for it(even though I'm not pregnant, ha!) it is good for women during confinement as it helps to warm the stomach and speed recovery after deliver.
I followed this recipe as it reminded me of how my mom used to cook. My mom said she likes to use 糯米酒 instead of normal rice wine. So I used this wine to cook this dish also. I used chicken thigh without skin as I thought it is healthier. I used a lot of ginger as I love ginger! Rock sugar is important as it bring out the sweetness. Salt has to be added last, to prevent it from turning bitter. This dish is best to use black sesame oil. I did not indicate the quantity as you can moderate to your liking.
Chicken thigh(without skin)
Black Sesame oil
Old ginger (sliced)
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil and add ginger. Fry till fragrant.
2. Add sesame oil , continue frying.
3. Add chicken thigh and fry till just cooked.
4. Add wine and continue frying.
5. Add water and rock sugar.
6. Simmer for 40min to 1 hour.(add gooseberry in between, I omitted)
6. Before serve, add salt to taste.
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #28: Chicken Feast (February 2013) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker .