Wednesday, February 5, 2014

AB #39: Homemade Bak Gwa


Gong Xi Fa Cai to all!

From Xmas to CNY, I have been so busy with work, spring cleaning and Baking CNY goodies that I hardly have time to update my post and even reply to some submission. Paiseh!

During this CNY , thanks to this topic and also the submission of Bak Gwa recipes, I got to know how to make Bak Gwa at home. With this, I not only save a lot of trouble queuing, save $$$, and also get to Bake our own Bak Gwa to serve guests.

I have tried recipes from Nasi Lemak lover, Sze Min and Cheah to see and taste the difference.

The first batch, I set my oven to 240C degree(according to some recipes), and ruin the whole batch, the batch turn dark and chao da(burnt), then I realized my oven is a simple oven with no grill function.

So the second time, I set 160C for 15 min then to 180C, and watch the item Closely, the second batch turned out ok. So I tried again using another recipe, and I realized I like the taste better and the result turned out well.

No offense, my liking as in the taste I like is from Cheah's recipe. The recipe asked for lesser ingredients yet the result turn out almost like the Bak Gwa we bought from outside. Thanks Cheah for the wonderful recipe(see below)

Mix all ingredients and leave overnight

Ingredients:
500 gm double minced pork
100 gm sugar (after many tries, I think half caster sugar n half brown sugar is best)
1 Tbsp light soya sauce
1/2 Tbsp Chinese cooking wine
2 Tbsp honey
3/4  Tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt

Method:
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients, except the minced pork, stir till creamy.
2. Add in the minced pork, stir with a wooden spoon till gluey.
3. Cover with cling wrap and keep refrigerated overnight.
4. Spread the marinated meat on a parchment lined baking tray with a spatula, about 1/4 inch thick.
5. Bake in a preheated oven @ 160 deg.C for 15 to 20 mins.
6. Remove from the oven, cut into desired size, flip over and bake @180C for another 15 min.
7. As my oven no Grill function, I turn oven to top heat and bake for 5 min or less till the desired colour is attained.

I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #39: CNY Rock and Roll! (Jan 2014) hosted by Food Playground

P.S: AB #39 is the second last AB theme, and tomorrow is the last day to submit your post. 请马上行动!祝你马上成功

No comments:

Post a Comment